Need something to watch on Netflix? Round 2!

           
             

More things to try on Netflix

Incase you did not read my 1st 'What to Watch'
All the film's and TV shows I talk about are from the British Netflix, therefore may not be available in your region!
I am also not a professional TV/Film critic, I am just trying to bring some decisiveness to the indecisive!



White Gold



So, you have probably looked at this image and done the exact same thing as I did... "Oh, it's Jay and Simon from the Inbetweeners, got to be good for a laugh, right?"
Or maybe you're a 'Gossip Girl' fan and recognise the protagonist of this show as the swarmy but sexy arse bucket he portrays in 'Gossip Girl'?
Well, if typecasting were to hold a convention and made it's own TV show it would look almost identical to this.

Jay's character (Brian) - is a slightly more grown up version of Jay from the Inbetweeners, talks the big talk with the boys, but is actually hopeless and downright useless... At times.

Simon's character (Martin) - is a grown up version of Simon from the Inbetweeners, an awkward walkover looking for love.

Finally, Mr. Gossip Girl (Vincent Swan) - Is a sexy, egotistical, work driven, dickhead...sound familiar?

Now please do not be put off by the summary of what I am about to write as the actual premise of the show sounds like complete and utter trash, but stick with me!!
(Also, this show has very British humour so for any American readers that have not quite understood or enjoy English humour then this one is really not for you!)

The story is... A window double glazing firm, trying to sell double glazing in Essex 1983... Yeah I know, sounds shit which is why I included this as it is honestly great, full of laughs and get a good feel for the characters early on!

My Netflix rating is - 7/10

Jigsaw



I know, I know... Not ANOTHER Saw movie right? Hear me out though!

This is Saw 8... I think? The writers have gotten past their issue of Saw 7 being hailed as "The Final Chapter" by brilliantly renaming the film 'Jigsaw'... So, it's technically not a "Saw" movie even though it has everything you come to expect from the redicoulousy long franchise! Torture, death, blood, traps, games, tapes, riddles, someone so incredibly insensitve/annoying that you are literally screaming at the TV for them to die (can't just be me?), Twists and turns and ofcourse a lovely suited and booted doll on a cute little bike.

All joking apart, 'Saw' and 'Saw 2' are possibly my favourite horror films from the genre. A twist I never saw coming in both of these films, a psychological and deep fight for survival. Then they literally all turned to complete and utter shit as the company just kept trying to milk their fat old cash cow, and after the success of the first film after spending next to nothing, who can really blame them? People just kept coming back hoping that maybe they recapture the flame like 'Nightmare on Elm Street' when they released Dream Warriors.
Who am I kidding? We all came back just to see what messed up death traps JigSaw had thought up this time.
There is not one person alive who after/during a 'Saw' film doesn't utter the question "How sick do you have to be to come up with this stuff!?" Or words to that effect!

Enough Rambling Kieren, just get on with it! Okay! In my opinion this truly is my favourite since the first two, there i said it!
Even though it is not as great as the first two I love the twists as once again I did not see them coming... Well I saw one coming but hey, I won't go telling you which one! It seems they took the focus off the traps and tried to tell a better story this time, I won't tell you all the traps but I will tell you some components to wet your whistles!
Chains, rotating saw, cheese wire, acid in a syringe, sharp stuff, Lazer cutters, a motorbike engine and a simple shotgun.
I really can't tell you too much else about the film's plot as it would ruin the twists... A man claiming to be in a Jigsaw game is chased by police to the top of a building where he is holding a button to which he claims once he presses it the game begins, He presses the button and gets shot and killed by police. GAME ON.
That is all you're getting from me, I hope you enjoy!

My Netflix Rating 7/10

Brooklyn nine-nine



Now, most of you will hopefully be sitting there screaming "Everyone has seen this show, it's one of the best shows out there currently!" If you are one of those people, feel free to skip ahead or stay and read the random shit I write, up to you!

HOWEVER!

It came to my attention recently that there are people I know, people I believed to be friends, allies... Even, fellow gingers that had never even heard of this show... Yeah I know. Almost unfriended the lot of them but I thought, NO! I will attempt to save their souls (well, apart from the ginger guy as we all know we don't have souls)
So I decided to include this masterpiece into my Netflix blog, for ANY passing souls that have stumbled from the path of Netflix enlightenment!

This comedy sitcom very obviously is set in Brooklyn following a law enforcement team called the 'nine-nine'. I truly believe this show has the most relatable and loveable characters of any show since 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S' Yeah, I went there, all the way there!
If you have not watched the show you still may have heard that very recently it almost got cancelled! The world mourned, but while some of us mourned, the others searched for justice and yearned for rebellion.
Fans marched in their thousands (by marched I mean ran their fingers up and down their keyboards, occasionally using caps) begging for someone to save the nine-nine. Sleepless nights and prayers to god's you didn't even know existed and then it happened, the nine-nine were saved!
NBC stood up proud and strong, the hero we needed in these hard times and took the nine-nine by the hand and got them back on their feet . Fans rejoiced, screamed for joy, even the cast were ecstatic with many tweets going out thanking their fans and their would be hero's!
I hope NBC make £millions from this and add on to their initial 6th season, 13 episode contract. Just please make Fox bite themselves in the arse over this.

Anyway I have rambled enough jibberish on this one show.

Netflix rating

9/10

Scorpion



This show! This god damn show! You know what? Stop, just stop reading my blog and open Netflix. Get this show on and enjoy your life.
I'm not kidding, just go, I won't be offended.
Still here?
Fine!
Imagine 'Big Bang Theory' meets 'NCIS', yep definitely looks just as weird to read as it did to say.
So 4 genious members of the public, get together to solve certain cases that have stumped America's top law enforcements.
What makes the characters so loveable is that they all have a disability of some sort.
Walter is autistic/Asperger's/fragile X
Slyvester is socially awkward and very anxious about everything, a germaphobe!
Happy is an ironic name as she is mainly always angry, anger issues and commitment issues
Toby is an addict, he is addicted to gambling
Yet they are portrayed as a genious. I think it sends a fantastic message about disability.
Yeah, 4 genious though? Where have I seen that before?...


Not only that! There is a redicoulousy hot girl in a will they or won't they with one of the main characters! Oh, AND, wait for it... She is a waitress. It's almost like a 'Big Bang Theory' sequal!
I can't stress enough how good this show is! It is one of those shows that is a thriller, every episode. With the characters disabilities it's really easy to fall in love with them and wish for them to do well. I don't know about you guys but I get pretty emotionally involved when I watch a TV show! These characters are so fantastic, the story is brilliant, the ups the downs. You feel all the pain the characters feel as they struggle to understand emotions.
Well, I think by this point you may have realised that I like this one juuuuuuust a little bit!

Netflix rating

10/10

I Kill Giants


I was not going to add this, for many reasons.
1. I still can't tell if I loved it, or it was okay
2. It had literally just come out on Netflix
3. I am not really sure how to talk about it without ruining it
4. Just because I couldn't leave it on 3 reasons.

I believe this was a comic book or an anime of some sort before being made into this film. So I am sure the original anime/comic is a million times better, but this is coming from someone who has only seen the movie.
I love the idea or this, god I really can not say much or it's going to ruin everything!
It's a tearjerker, a fantasy and a drama all at the same time.
It has some great special effects. Very effective acting (in parts) and it's a gripping story.
Like I say though I can't tell if it was OMG, wow, that was amazing or yeah, that was pretty good. It's a strange feeling. I kind of want to watch it again but I think I won't enjoy it as much the 2nd time around. Especially watching it knowing what I know now.
I need your help! Go and watch it and tell me if it's OMG, or oh, okay!

Netflix rating

I JUST DO NOT KNOW/10

I hope this brings you all some Netflix joy!
Let me know what you thought of them, if you watch them!

All the best

Kieren x

              

Comments

Popular Posts